Best Home Exercise Bikes 2020 - Reviews & Comparison
We tested nearly 50 exercise bikes for 3 months and reveal you the results of our tests!
During our tests, we took into account the following technical criteria:
- the weight of the flying wheel
- the maximum power in watts
- the number of resistance levels
- the weight of the bike
- the maximum user weight supported
- the size of the bike
- the console's characteristics
- the pedaling comfort
- the smoothness of resistance changes
- the saddle comfort and its adjustment
- the bike's solidity
- the pedaling noise after 10 hours and 100 hours of cycling
- the stability of the stationary bike during a sprint
- the design
- the general impression of the exercise bike
- the price
We will reveal you which is the best home exercise bike in 2020 and present our results and reviews in a comparison chart.
The Best Home Exercise Bike in 2020
Comparison chart of the best home exercise bikes in 2020
Here are the results of our tests presented in a comparison chart as well as our tips to help you choose the best exercise bike. Our ranking takes into account the most important criteria for choosing the right exercise bike as well as our personal appreciation of the fluidity of pedaling, the comfort of the bike and the position of the body during training. Choosing a good exercise bike is important if you plan to work out seriously and regularly. No good workout without a good material! In addition, you will not achieve your goals, whether it is to lose weight, get back in shape, gaining muscle or for rehab, if the fitness equipment you buy is of low quality.
Here is our exercise bikes comparison chart according to the weight of the flying wheel, the maximum user weight supported and the other criteria mentioned above.
The conclusions of our comparative test
1. The fitness brands and manufacturers such as BH Fitness, Tunturi, Christopeit, Toorx, Heubozen, Decathlon, Domyos or Care Fitness often have similar fitness equipment but with a price-quality ratio that varies a lot. The best value for money is offered by the fitness brands DKN Technology and Skandika Fitness.
2. Cheap exercise bikes that are sold for less than 200 € have a much lower pedaling comfort than the more expensive stationary bikes. This is especially noticeable when you speed up on your bike or when you increase the pedaling resistance. Cheap exercise bikes also have a lower maximum power (or maximum resistance). In addition, they begin to make noise and squeal after 5 to 10 hours of cycling. Stationary bikes in this price range are often foldable exercise bikes that are practical and do not take up too much space, but unfortunately this often happens at the expense of quality, so that the price-quality ratio is not the best. Lastly, some users do not find the right position, especially for the back or the arms, due to the small dimensions of these folding compact exercise bikes.
3. In the middle / top range category, DKN Technology and Skandika Fitness are the best brands for home exercise bikes. Their price range is between 300 and 650 € for home exercise bikes. DKN Technology also has a semi-professional range with stationary bikes that cost more than 1000 €. If you want a very high-end exercise bike for frequent home use and are ready to spend more then 1000 €, the Kettler Racer S will be a very good choice for you.
4. The flywheel weight is a good criterion for assessing the quality of an exercise bike. A flying wheel that is too weak is not pleasant: the pedaling is less comfortable and less fluid, jerks come with each pedal stroke. The pedaling becomes smooth and pleasant above a 9kg flying wheel.
5. A bluetooth connected exercise bike enables you to connect your iPad, iPhone or your tablet. This makes the workout much more interactive and interesting since it becomes possible to customize your cardio or HIIT exercises, to easily modify the difficulty and duration of any workout routine, to create new workouts and to track your statistics and see your progress, as the Vescape application allows.
OUR ADVICE: Think carefully about your goals and what you want to achieve before choosing an exercise bike. If you really plan to work out regularly, at least once or twice a week, then we advise you to choose an exercise bike in this ranking in order to exercise in the best conditions and in the right position, have a fluid and comfortable pedaling and not hurt your joints while cycling.
David Anderson is a professional coach with 15 years of experience in the sports and fitness industry. He has been writing about fitness and giving workout tips and advice since 2016.
These articles may be of interest to you